Friday, April 10, 2009

Using Collages to Capture Prior Knowledge




Collages are an excellent and creative way to capture what students know or think about a subject when you're just starting out on it. We are inquiring into conflict at the moment, so I got the whole of Grade 4 to work together on a collage that depicts conflict. It really gave me a good idea of the way the students are thinking as many of them came to me to ask about the suitability of certain images, and whether or not they showed conflict. By taking anecdotal notes, I was able to do a meaningful formative assessment. I'll move it forward by getting the kids to focus on finding words that they associate with conflict to stick on the collage. We can then use those words for spelling, to build conversation around and to put into writing projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment